Monday, May 21, 2012


CURVES, BLUE
 
I watch you as you sleep
relaxed and oblivious
the arrangement of your naked curves
unplanned and guileless
profiled in the stark blue moonlight
reflected in the mirror, repeated in the shadows.
Epitome of nature’s design
template for abstract steel sculptures
inspiration to millions of artists
            from cave painters to Rubens to Picasso.
 
I watch you as you sleep
remembering the feelings we couldn’t escape
the phrases that turned back on each other
like twisted Möbius strips
fascinating, surreal, and endless.
Recurring patterns: he said, she said
you meant -- no I didn’t
but you said -- yes, but -- no, but
I love you -- I know, but …
reiterations of a cursive motif
            with no resolution.
 
I watch you as you sleep
remembering how we got here,
coming from such different places
the heedless urgency of our passion
the eager but incremental growth of trust
the cautiously spontaneous process
            of gradually curving together into a couple.
 
And I watch you as you sleep
            trying to understand how we got here
                        with pieces broken off and fingers burned.
 
I watch you as you sleep
I know your every curve and line
but I wonder if I ever knew you
and I wonder if you ever knew me
and I wonder
            if this will be our last night together.

  © John Ambury, 2012. All rights reserved.


No comments:

Post a Comment